Sunday, August 27, 2017

Psalm 21 (originally posted 8/20/17)



 There is so much pressure around, and so much uncertainty it feels like even the ground beneath our feet is swaying. I mean it seems like that to me. Through the news and social media we see the destructive hate, fulled by pride, firing one side to the other and back again. It seems our country is almost at war with itself. It saddens me. Last Saturday I spoke with a spoken word artist that I respect (a lovely brother in the Lord Micah Bournes) about just what I've seen both in my lifetime in my family and across the country....and I actually began to weep. So many people being hurt by such hate just almost takes me out at the knees. Even dear brothers and sisters in Christ being hurt in their heart from being hated for the color of their skin. In my own life, the only grandfather I knew on my dad's side of the family was my grandpa Milton. He was a 6' 5" African American fisherman. Christina and I just celebrated our 19th anniversary but it reminded me that he didn't come. Not because he didn't love us, and not because we didn't love him. He didn't feel welcomed by extended family. He didn't feel safe from slander, derision or shame to come to our wedding. I don't feel like there is much difference in our country seeing the actions of groups as of late. It is no wonder the ground seems to shift around my heart. Where is there to hope? Where is there to rest?
"through the unfailing love of the Most High
we will not be shaken."
Psalm 21:7
We need His love. The only steady place is His love for us. That love is not deserved, it is not earned, and it is not a commodity to be paid for by good deeds or even righteous indignation. Our sin earns us death and wrath....but God saved us. Humility and grace for those around us and across the country comes in seeing our state before Christ and then our state IN Christ. We can stay standing in the love of the Lord and testify of the good news of His great work. Lets us do this Sunday. Let us prepare our hearts to do it together and then to do it apart at our work and in our homes.
"On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand..."
in Christ,
paul

2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul! I believe I'll be ID'd here as 'JoeMan', but I'm your friend gan_estate_pipes from Instagram! We are doing well here in SC.
    I am sad to read about Milton, not coming to your wedding 19 years ago. Sad to think he didn't feel comfortable doing so...and surely, not wanting to do so out of sheer principle...I suppose out of respect of your wedding day being about you and Christina, and not about him. That says a lot. I tell you this...Milton would be welcome in my home.
    My wife and I also are sad over the way our country in particular appears to be imploding over preferences, opinions, political positions, racial groups, etc. We (in great measure) no longer choose to agree on what we can agree on, but we major on the things we do not find perfect agreement on...and then we march, we hurl stinging comments, we judge. We are a very PRIDEFUL people...and we know that God opposes the proud. I may never agree with my neighbor and his political stance on particular issues...I will never know what it's like to walk a mile in the shoes of a person of color...but I can love as Jesus loved, and show kindness regardless of our differences. Jesus ate with those who were hated...showed care to folks that the religious ones would not associate with...he didn't have those walls. Sad that there are those today who think they are better, or, they assume that everyone of a particular skin color thinks they are superior. In the end...God has one category for us all...in Romans. For ALL have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God. And thank God he didn't leave us there...but rather chose to suffer greater than anyone in history so that we could be welcomed as the adopted children of God through Jesus.

    Keep the faith...and keep writing, bro.

    JoeMan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy! I really do appreciate what you said here and I whole heartily agree. That was a hard week, but I didn't want to leave that one off, so I included this backdated one, because I don't want it to just be that week. I want to carry that compassion forward with me, and keep trying to understand and do what I can. Thank you again!

      Delete