Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most - Psalm 34



So, I'm sorry that I have be absent from this but December is a crazy time for me. I usually run an Advent reading schedule/mailing list, etc. Now that we are on the other side of Advent, I have time to keep going with this.

There are a lot of things going on with this Psalm but I don't think there is a better summery of the whole book of Psalms than these first eight verses.

1 I will extol the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
2 I will glory in the Lord;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
3 Glorify the Lord with me;
let us exalt his name together.
4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
8 Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.


The true and right praise of the Lord always originates like that of one in love. The true motivation is in verse 4. “I sought the Lord and He answered me.” That is amazing but the more amazing part is the second half of verse 4 “He delivered me from all my fears.” The Lord delivers us from fear by a different way. Jesus said in John 14:27” Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” I think when David speaks about physical prosperity and his enemies being dead and judged that, that might be the best peace he could imagine. I think that is the best kind of peace “the world gives,” but Jesus goes further. John Piper said in one of his advent devotionals about Hebrews 2:14-15 “If we do not need to fear our last and greatest enemy, death, then we do not need to fear anything. We can be free: free for joy, free for others.” I think that is true. That is the best peace that we could even imagine. The peace of God is a peace out from under our natural inheritance, death. Death: the payment we deserve for sin has been removed. The best news is not just that because that is what we were saved out of but what we have been saved to is God Himself. The peace, the freedom we have is out of the grip of death and hell itself into the loving arms of the Father. So out of that David sings. His father in heaven has heard him. But don’t we have much more to sing about? Something David couldn’t fully understand came and brought ultimate deliverance. That being said, verse 8 has much more contained in it than a quick glance would give. David is commanding us to do, much as he does else ware, to entreat us to experience God ourselves, and the implication is to then join him. C.S. Lewis in Reflections On The Psalms says this on the “command” to worship “It is not out of compliment that lovers keep on telling one another how beautiful they are; the delight is incomplete till it is expressed.” David is entreating us to the Lord, not commanding, but it is for good reason…because he knows how good He is and how good it is to be the recipient of God’s peace. David has not read a static thing and placidly understood it. He has experienced God himself. An experience of God Himself is not something that is static. Truth be told I am always worried by worship leaders, and pastors for that matter, that are static and unmoved by the God of the scriptures, of Jesus. How can we be silent? How can we be calm when we glorify a God that came to our world, as Lewis says “Shakespeare…make himself appear as Author within [Hamlet]”, but not just to appear but die in our place. He is the great author that has visited Himself upon His own creation to save us. Again, how can we be silent?

In Christ,
Paul




music for the week (as usual: no claim of being not "offensive" but it is really good):

No comments:

Post a Comment